This is scary. I have just finished the blog of May (http://pinkmayflower.multiply.com/journal/item/140), the girl who died due to overwork in HP.
Whose fault is that? Her fault to overlook her health, HP fault to overlook the welfare of their staff or the society fault? Many arguments, many views. Which is right?
Health
======
Everyone should be responsible for their own health. If you do not love your body and take care of it, who else can do it for you. If you could not take care of yourself, who else can you take care of. It is a chicken and egg thingy. Do you think that the company will take pathetic of you and let you go on leave or break with many deadlines to meet. However, I do understand that in situation whereby the person is committed and responsible to his work, he will tend to neglect his own health in one way or the other.
Company
=======
I am an ex-HP staff too. It is indeed not easy to survive in HP due to the needs to multitask tonnes of work, the needs to have meeting even after office hour and sometimes up to early morning. Because of these, you could hardly catch some sleep and rest. Colleagues are basically glued to their laptop working around the clock even on weekend. Because of this, HP implemented flexible working hours allowing staff to work from home.
Some who do not work in HP also feel that we have the luxury to work from home or come to office late, but do they know the effort and sacrifice we have made to enjoy this. Sometimes working from home can be worst than working in the office because oftenly you will skip lunch and time chit chatting with colleagues in the office. I still remembered once that I had meeting every night for almost a year being a UAT lead. There was hell!! Come to think of it now, I am very certain that I do not want to go back to such life again. NEVER!! I feel much better without any nights meeting now.
Pros and Cons. Colleagues were nice there and bosses were opened to feedback as well. Very open culture but work kill big time.
Society
=======
Lots of things to talk about Society today. Everyone should know why money is so important today. In Singapore, to own a car, a house, etc are so so expensive. Everything is going up but very often, salary stays stagnant or we have to really work extremely hard to see a bit of money coming in. Very difficult to survive ya. M The best thing is the way the culture runs in Singapore. We usually given tonnes of work to do and it basically the job of two person instead of one. In this case, your boss will tell you that these are needed to support your promotion, etc. Many usual statements provided by those bosses. I can even memorise and know what they are going to say next so I could not be bother to comment. Many many more about this society that drives its nation to suffer.